- To a large, heavy cast iron pot, add oil and heat. Cook your choice of meats individually over medium-high heat, setting each aside as you go. Scrape up the brown bits that start to stick to the bottom of the pot – they'll add great flavor to the finished product. If using chicken thighs, let rest for a few minutes after cooking, before chopping into small chunks.
- Add more oil, and sauté the trinity (chopped onion, green pepper and celery) along with the chopped tasso over medium heat, until vegetables are soft.
- Add cooked meats back to the pot (except for shrimp), as well as package contents of the Jambalaya mix. If using frozen or fresh veggies, add to the pot.
- Add 5 cups of water to pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If using shrimp, place on top of jambalaya in pot when 5 minutes of cooking time is left.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir and serve with chopped fresh parsley.