Chipotle Black Bean Soup
- Rinse and inspect beans.
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil. Add onions and pepper, and sauté over medium high heat with 1/3 of enclosed spice packet for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add beans, broth, water and remaining spice packet. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are soft, about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For a smoother consistency, use the back of a spoon to mash some of the beans on the side of the pot or process beans in a blender.
- Garnish with toppings for optimal taste.
Add additional water as necessary to obtain desired consistency.
Soak the beans overnight for faster cooking time. If beans are soaked, cooking time can be reduced to 2 hours.