Slow Cooker Creole Chicken and Red Bean Gumbo
- Rinse and inspect beans.
- Using 1/3 of the enclosed spice packet, liberally coat the chicken.
- In a large heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown chicken pieces in oil, then transfer chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining oil, onions, celery and carrots to the same pot. Sauté over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Transfer sautéed vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add rest of spice packet and remaining ingredients, except the rice, to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 6 hours on high, adding the rice for the last hour of cooking, or for 12 hours on low, adding the rice for the last 90 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
- Add water as necessary to obtain desired consistency.
- Recipe requires a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.