Field Pea Hoppin’ John
- Rinse, sort, and cook peas.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add the field peas, stirring to combine.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, the salt and the pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice and the sprig of thyme; stir once.
- Bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.