Contributed by Ana Riehlmann
Ana’s Brazilian Black Beans (Mild Feijoada)
- Rinse and sort beans. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Add beans to a large pot, and add enough water to cover beans. Bring to a boil, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add sausage, tasso and bay leaf to beans. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour. Add water if needed. (Beans should always be covered by water while cooking.)
- In a separate pot or skillet, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add some beans to the onion and garlic mixture to meld the flavors; then pour all back into the pot of beans and stir. Season beans with black pepper to taste.
- Cook 30 minutes more. Mash beans against the side of the pot to make creamier. Add salt to taste.
- If desired, stir in chopped fresh cilantro right before serving.
- Serving suggestions: serve with rice, sliced fresh oranges and collard greens.