Baked Red Bean Pasta with Cornbread Crumble
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic powder and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked beans, tomatoes and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add mushrooms to bean mixture in skillet, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, combine cottage cheese, ½ cup of mozzarella and egg. Set aside.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread ½ cup of bean mixture in bottom of baking dish. Add a layer of pasta, then a layer of the cottage cheese mixture, and then a layer of spinach. Repeat, layering pasta, then bean mixture, then spinach. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese; sprinkle cornbread crumbs over cheese and then Tony Chachere’s over the top.
- Cover baking dish with foil, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. (Cornbread should become crisp.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.