Black Beans with Plums and Peppers
- Fill a deep saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add plums and boil for 30 seconds to loosen skin. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Melt butter or heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, cloves, cumin and cilantro.
- Sauté gently, stirring often, until onion softens, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Peel plums, remove pits and chop pulp.
- Add pulp, lemon juice, and honey to onion mixture.
- Add beans, cover, and continue cooking over low heat until peppers are soft, about 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.