Buster Holmes’ Red Beans & Rice
Buster Holmes' famous Red Beans & Rice, served at first Jazz Fest. Based on original recipe in NYT and Buster Holmes Restaurant Cookbook: Handmade Home Cookin'
- Pick through beans and remove any rocks. Wash beans and cover with water by a good three inches.
- Let soak overnight, adding more water to keep the beans covered. (Or choose your preferred soaking method.)
- Rinse, change to fresh water, and stir in onion, bell pepper, ham hock and garlic.
- Cook on slow fire, in a heavy bottomed pot, until done (about 2 hours).
- Add salt, pepper, seasoning and butter and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice with Louisiana hot sauce, French bread and butter.
Recipe based on Buster's original Red Beans recipe found in The Buster Holmes Restaurant Cookbook: New Orleans Handmade Cookin' from Pelican Press. Used with permission of the publisher, Pelican Publishing Company, Inc. Photo courtesy of Philip M. Denman