Contributed by Taste of the South
Camellia Black Bean Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries
- In a small bowl, combine sliced red onion, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt, stirring until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, and lime juice until smooth. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together mushrooms, minced red onion, and garlic until finely chopped. Add panko, egg, chili powder, black pepper, and salt; pulse until incorporated. Add 5 cups black beans and green onions; pulse until combined. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in remaining 1 cup black beans. Divide mixture into 8 patties. Refrigerate patties for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together sweet potato sticks, 2 tablespoons oil, and salt. Arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.
- Meanwhile, on a large griddle, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until browned on both sides and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add cheese and cook until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with arugula, chipotle mayonnaise, and pickled red onions. Serve with sweet potato fries.
This recipe and image are courtesy of Taste of the South magazine.