Contributed by Taste of the South
Creamy Bean and Collard Greens Soup
- In a large Dutch oven, bring beans and 8 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil beans until tender and most of liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Drain beans. Wipe out Dutch oven.
- In the container of a blender, combine 2 cups cooked beans and 1 cup broth; process until completely smooth.
- In the same Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook until softened, stirring occasionally, 6 or 7 minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked beans, chickpeas, and rosemary. Stir in puréed bean mixture and remaining 5 cups broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until soup slightly thickens, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in collards and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Gradually sprinkle in Parmesan, stirring constantly (don’t add cheese all at once or it may clump).
- Garnish with additional rosemary, zest, and Parmesan, if desired. Serve with bread.
This recipe and image are from Taste of the South magazine.