Frijoles Negros (Cuban Black Beans)
- Rinse and sort beans. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Add beans, stock, and seasoning meat to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer beans until tender, about 1 hour.
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté the onions and green pepper in olive oil until the onions are translucent; add mashed garlic and sauté another minute or so.
- Add the cooked beans, oregano, cumin, salt, bay leaf, vinegar, and sherry. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Add additional salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and chopped red onions.