- Rinse and sort peas. (Optional: Soak peas using your preferred method.)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add water or broth, ham hocks, bay leaves and oregano; bring to a boil. Add blackeye peas; stir well. Return to a low boil; cover with lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until the peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove ham hocks, pick meat from bones, chop and return to the pot; discard bones, skin and other unwanted items. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Add rice to pot, cover and simmer an additional 25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add green onions; stir well. Adjust seasonings to taste.