- Rinse and sort garbanzos. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Add garbanzos to a pot, and fill with enough water to cover by at least 1 inch. Add baking soda if desired. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until garbanzos are very soft, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid for blending and a small handful of garbanzos for garnish.
- Transfer the rest of the garbanzos to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, gradually adding olive oil. Add reserved cooking liquid if needed.
- Add tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt and blend.
- Spread hummus into a flat serving dish, garnishing with reserved garbanzos and parsley.