Kid-Friendly Refried Beans
- Add soaked beans to a pot. Cover with water or broth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 1 1/2 hours).
- When beans are almost done, sauté onions and garlic in oil, about 5 minutes, until onions are clear.
- Mash or process half of the cooked beans; add mash to onion and garlic. Add a little water or broth to the pan if bean mixture is too thick.
- Sauté mixture for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cumin and remaining beans and continue cooking until warm.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.