Marjorie’s Marvelous Large Lima (Large Butter) Beans
- Rinse and sort beans. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- In a heavy skillet over low heat, cook ham or seasoning meat for 10-12 minutes; this will render the meat and create the grease needed for Step 3. Remove ham or seasoning meat, and set aside.
- In skillet grease, sauté onion, garlic, parsley and celery.
- In large heavy pot, cover beans with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and add sautéed vegetables, ham or seasoning meat, and bay leaf to pot. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary.
- Remove bay leaf, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.