New Orleans-Style Blackeye Peas
- Rinse and sort peas. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add pickled pork; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic and tomato paste; sauté 15 minutes. Add water or broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Add blackeye peas, stir well and return to a low boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- If a creamier texture is desired, use the back of a spoon to mash up to one-fourth of the beans and stir well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with hot buttered French bread. Garnish with chopped green onions.