NYE Black Eyed Peas
- Heat the olive oil in a 6 qt. pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and sweat until they smell sweet and look translucent.
- Add the bay leaves and other seasonings along with the ham. Toast well for 2 minutes.
- Add the black eyed peas and water - bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve hot over white rice!
Chef Ryan Shepherd, Executive Chef of LH Hayward & Co., is a seasonings expert and culinary educator. He is formerly the executive chef of research and development at Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends in New Orleans and enjoys making food taste good.