Contributed by DeepSouthDish.com
Southern Summer Succotash
- Cook corn using your favorite method, or place whole, unhusked corn in microwave and cook on high for 12 minutes (1000 watt); use oven mitt to remove and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add baby lima beans to a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, reduce to simmer and cook until mostly tender, about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Drain, setting aside 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Rinse beans and set aside.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to carefully cut off the root end of the corn, remove husks and silks and cut corn off of the cob. Use dull edge of the knife to scrape down the milk; set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet, remove bacon and set aside to chop, but leave drippings in the skillet.
- Add sausage or ham to drippings, if using, and cook over medium high until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the beans.
- Add the okra to the drippings and cook for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion and bell pepper and cook another 4 minutes until softened; add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the corn, sugar, baby lima beans, meat and seasonings to the skillet. Add some of the reserved cooking water, a little at a time, only if mixture is too dry.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cook and stir until everything is heated through. Add tomatoes, bacon, and parsley. Stir in butter or cream until warmed through; taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe from Mary Foreman, publisher and author of DeepSouthDish.com, an online blog about Southern cooking. Mary published her first cookbook, Deep South Dish Homestyle Southern Recipes in May 2015. It's a compilation of her most-loved and top southern favorite recipes, including several that are cookbook exclusives.