Tasso’d Up Lady Cream Peas
- In a large pot, cover beans with 1 inch of water. Add salt and Zydeco ChopChop. Cover and turn heat to high.
- While beans are coming to a boil, add oil to a skillet and brown tasso, onion, poblano pepper and garlic. When everything is browned, add honey and orange zest, stirring until a glaze covers the mixture. Set half of mixture aside.
- Add the other half of the mixture to the beans, turn down the heat, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika and any other seasonings to taste.
- Top beans with remaining tasso mixture, garnish with sliced green onions, and serve with rice or cornbread, or in a halved and seeded red bell pepper.