Contributed by CreoleContessa.com
Blackeye Pea Pimento Cheese Nachos
- Add olive oil to skillet over medium heat; add ground turkey to skillet, season with spices and cook about 10-12 minutes.
- Add cooked blackeye peas to skillet and cook 5 minutes more. Set mixture aside.
- In a small pot, heat butter over medium heat; add flour and whisk well for about 40 seconds. Add milk and spices, bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat.
- Add diced pimentos and hot sauce and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheese by the handfuls, whisking well after each addition. Add more milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
- To assemble: place tortilla chips on platter. Top with blackeye pea mixture, pimento cheese sauce, grape tomatoes, sliced jalapeños and green onions, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Lisa, the Creole Contessa food blogger, is a California girl who spent childhood summers in Louisiana with her late grandmother. Her goal is to take her family’s traditions and love of cultural foods and put a Creole spin on them