- Place black beans in a medium saucepan.
- Add 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, stirring gently.
- Add 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and heat on low, stirring continuously, for about 2 minutes.
- Cover and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add apples to melted butter.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Gently stir ingredients together over medium heat.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk plus 1 tablespoon whole milk over apples, stirring until apples are coated. Cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Unroll one of the crusts into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Layer apple mixture on the bottom of the crust. Spread bean mixture evenly over the layer of apples. Top with second crust. Fold and roll top pastry under edge of bottom crust pressing to seal the two crusts together. Flute the pastry edges.
- Crimp 2-inch strips of foil over fluted edge. Cut slits in top pastry for steam to escape. Bake at 350 degrees (preheated) for 20-30 minutes or until crust is brown. Remove foil strips 10 minutes before the end of the baking time so fluted edge will brown.
Recipe by Pearl River High School