Caribbean Style Small Red Beans & Rice
- Rinse and sort beans; soak if desired (soaking Small Red Beans is optional).
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil and add onion, garlic, and jalapeño; cook and stir over medium heat until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase to high heat, add broth and beans and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add water or broth if needed to keep beans covered while cooking.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue simmering on low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes. For extra creamy beans, smash a few spoonfuls of beans against the inside of the pot.
- Season to taste with hot sauce and salt.
- Serve with hot cooked rice; garnish with chopped cilantro.