Dump and Go: Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice
This simplified recipe lets your slow cooker do the work, with no hands-on attention required and no soaking. Just dump everything in, set it and forget it. Using pre-chopped trinity makes the process even easier.
- Rinse and sort beans.
- Put beans, sausage or ham hock, trinity, garlic powder and water in the slow cooker. Stir well and cover.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- When beans are tender, use a spoon or potato masher to mash beans to desired creamy consistency. If using a ham hock, remove it with tongs, and discard skin, bones and cartilage. Chop or shred ham and stir back into beans.
- Add salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning or hot sauce to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.