Instant Pot New Orleans-Style Red Beans and Rice
The Instant Pot is a bean’s best friend! Cook your red beans super fast with no hands-on attention required (after a quick sauté) and no soaking.
- Rinse and sort red kidney beans.
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot, and add oil to pot. Add sliced sausage, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
- Add 1/4 stick butter to Instant Pot, along with chopped seasoning blend and garlic, and cook until onions turn soft and clear.
- Add the kidney beans into the Instant Pot along with the cooked sausage, water, and bay leaf. Stir.
- Turn Sauté mode off. Cover, twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to sealing. Press the Manual button and set to 40 minutes at high pressure.
- When the timer beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Then, turn the valve to venting.
- Remove lid, and use a spoon or potato masher to mash beans to desired creamy consistency. Add salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Instant Pot Red Beans & Rice Tips:
- Firm smoked sausage will hold its shape during cooking, but softer sausage may not. If you prefer, you can wait to add the cooked sausage back to the pot after the beans have finished cooking.
- No soaking is needed if you cook the beans for 40 minutes at high pressure. If you do soak your beans, cut the cook time in half (20 minutes at high pressure).
- Always let the pressure release naturally for at least 20 minutes. This should ensure soft beans.
- If the beans are not soft after 40 minutes of high pressure cooking and 20 minutes of naturally releasing pressure, then re-secure the lid, seal the vent, and cook for an additional 20 minutes at high pressure.