Contributed by Taste of the South
Jalapeño Pepper Jelly Baked Beans
- In a medium Dutch oven, add dry beans and cover with 2 inches of water. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans and return them to Dutch oven. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and let drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat; add bacon and vegetables to bean mixture in Dutch oven, stirring until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pepper jelly, ketchup, barbecue sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and black pepper. Add mixture to beans, stirring until well combined.
- Cover Dutch oven and bake the beans, stirring occasionally, until sauce is bubbly and thickened, about 1 hour. Uncover and bake until sauce has reduced and thickened to desired consistency, about 25 to 30 minutes more. Garnish with green onion.