- Rinse and sort lentils.
- Cook lentils and bay leaf in pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft and water has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Combine bulgur and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Transfer lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add bulgur and remaining ingredients except tomato paste or sauce. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Pat mixture into a 9-inch loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes until firm but not dry.
- During last minutes of baking, brush top with tomato paste or sauce. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve warm.