LH’s Savory Lentils
This family recipe has been featured on the Lentils bag for decades and was a favorite of Gordon Hayward, 2nd generation bean enthusiast.
- Rinse and sort lentils.
- Cover lentils with water, and simmer in covered pan for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender but not broken.
- Drain lentils and return 1 cup of the cooking liquid to them, or if necessary, add enough water to the liquid to make 1 cup.
- Cook onion for a few minutes in olive oil or bacon fat.
- Add onions to the lentils, cook for about 15 minutes, and stir gently so lentils are not broken.
- Add a few drops of hot sauce and/or salt if needed.