New Year’s Pork, Collard and Blackeye Pea Gumbo
- Add oil or bacon fat to a large Dutch oven, preferably cast iron, over medium heat.
- Make a roux by adding flour and stirring constantly for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Just before it’s dark brown, add the next four ingredients and sauté 5 minutes. The roux will continue to darken, and the vegetables will caramelize.
- Add stock to roux mixture. Simmer for an hour, stirring often. Skim any fat off the top. If too thick, add more stock.
- While stock is simmering, fry bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, leaving bacon drippings in skillet.
- Add collard greens and chopped onion to bacon drippings in skillet, and sauté until wilted.
- Crumble bacon and combine it with cooked greens/onion mixture.
- To Dutch oven, add vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Then add greens mixture, blackeye peas, pork, thyme, bay leaves, filé powder, and Creole seasoning to taste.
- Return to a simmer and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice with French bread.