Sawyer’s Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Rinse and sort peas.
- Cover peas with water, add meat, vegetables and seasonings. Simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours until tender.
- Add water as necessary to desired consistency.
- To make it creamier, scoop some cooked peas and pass through sieve or blender, then return to soup.
- For a richer soup, use milk instead of water to adjust consistency.
- For a creamy sauce, replace water with milk and use as a topping on fresh vegetables such as yellow squash, green beans, or asparagus.
- To thicken consistency of soup or sauce, add bread crumbs and/or grated sharp cheddar cheese.