Simple Southern Lima Beans
A simple recipe for deliciously creamy butter beans that's sure to satisfy. Serve over hot cooked rice and alongside your favorite cornbread or biscuits.
- Rinse and sort beans.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add chopped onion to bacon grease in the pot, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, ham hock or seasoning meat, and enough water or broth to cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender. Keep beans covered while cooking, by adding more liquid as necessary.
- If using ham hock, remove from pot. If desired, chop or shred ham, discarding skin, bones and cartilage, and stir ham back into beans.
- Season to taste and serve hot.