Soup Beans are slowly simmered pinto beans in a rich, creamy potlikker, hailing from the Appalachian mountains. Serve with cornbread and chow-chow and enjoy.
- Rinse and sort beans.
- In a large heavy pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- To bacon drippings in pot, add onion, carrot and celery. Stir and cook about 5 minutes, till vegetables are soft. Add garlic, and cook another 1 minute.
- Add beans, water or broth, and bay leaf to pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, partially covering the pot for 2 hours, or until beans are soft. Add more water or broth as needed.
- When beans are tender, remove bay leaf. Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon.