Contributed by Kelly Walton
Southwestern Pinto Bean Soup
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion, garlic, bell peppers, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add two teaspoons of taco seasoning and stir well.
- Add vegetable stock and stir. Start with 4 cups and then increase if you prefer a soup with more broth. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked pinto beans and corn. Stir, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover pot.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Serve soup with additional toppings such as: pepper-jack cheese, avocado, tortilla chips or cornbread.
Kelly Walton is a member of the Slow Food community. This recipe was submitted as part of the 2018 Terra Madre Day as a Food for Change meal.