Instant Pot Pinto Bean Chili
A fast and delicious Instant Pot chili recipe that's great for weeknights as well as Gameday gatherings, it's easy to customize using ground beef or ground turkey. Pro tip: Quick soaking the pinto beans means your chili will cook faster, and the beans will be more uniformly tender. (See steps 2 and 3 under Directions for how to quick soak the beans!)
- Rinse and sort beans.
- Add beans and 4 cups water to the Instant Pot. Cover, twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to sealing. Use the Manual mode, and set to 5 minutes at high pressure. (While beans are quick-soaking, chop veggies and measure spices.)
- When the timer beeps, allow pressure to release naturally for 12 minutes. Then, carefully turn the valve to venting. Uncover, drain beans, and set aside. Wipe clean the bottom of the Instant Pot, and put it back into place.
- Press the Sauté button and add oil. Add chopped onion and bell pepper, and cook till soft. Stir in chopped garlic.
- Add ground turkey or beef and sauté, breaking up the meat with a spoon and cooking until no longer pink. Scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pot. Press cancel to turn off the Sauté function.
- Add salt and spices, and stir well.
- Add drained beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Cover Instant Pot, twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to sealing. Use the Manual mode, and set to 20 minutes at high pressure.
- When the timer beeps, allow pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Then carefully turn the valve to venting.
- Uncover and stir. Season to taste, and add hot sauce if desired.
- Serve hot with optional toppings.