Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Rinse and sort beans.
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot, and add the oil. Add onion and jalapeño, and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, cumin, and water or broth to the Instant Pot. Stir well. Twist to lock the lid, and turn the valve to sealing.
- Use Manual mode to cook at high pressure for 45 minutes. When the timer beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Then, turn the valve to venting.
- Remove lid and stir well. Add salt, pepper and additional cumin to taste.
- Strain beans and reserve excess liquid. Mash or process the beans, adding the reserved liquid as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese.
- If beans are not soft enough after cooking, put the lid back on and make sure the release valve is set to sealing. Use Manual mode to cook at high pressure for another 5 to 10 minutes. The pot will quickly come back up to pressure because the contents are already hot.
- Get more Instant Pot Tips, Tricks & How-To’s.