Stovetop 3-Bean Vegetarian Chili
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the Hatch chilies (or Poblano chilies), diced tomatoes with chilies, garlic, smoked paprika, beer, 5 cups broth, and beans.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 4-5 hours, until the beans are tender but not falling apart. Add additional broth as necessary.
- Swirl in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, if desired, 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve chili with assorted toppings, if desired.
On a scale of 1-5, the spice level of this chili is a 3.
To roast Poblano chilies, preheat oven to 500°F degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Arrange whole peppers in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until skins are completely wrinkled and charred, turning occasionally to promote even roasting. Remove pan from oven, transfer peppers to a bowl, and cover bowl tightly with foil or plastic wrap. Keep covered until peppers are cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes. Remove the skin from each pepper by rubbing lightly beneath your fingers. If you are very sensitive, you may wish to wear gloves. Remove and discard the stems and seeds. Cut peppers into quarters lengthwise and chop.