Stovetop Cajun Gumbo
- In a medium pot, add ½ teaspoon oil.
- Cook 1 pound chicken and 1 pound sausage (cut into bite-size pieces) over medium heat until browned.
- In a separate bowl, whisk Gumbo Cajun Roux Base into 7 cups cool water until combined.
- Add mixture to chicken and sausage in pot, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat for 40 to 50 minutes (or until desired consistency is reached), stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice.
- Use peeled shrimp or crawfish to make a seafood gumbo. Add seafood in last 15 minutes to prevent overcooking.
- For extra flavor, add vegetables like chopped okra, collard greens, and green onions.
- Make it vegetarian or vegan by replacing meat or seafood with collard greens, turnip greens, mushrooms, or your favorite plant-based protein.