Contributed by Jennifer Hill Booker
Succotash with Tarragon and Crème Fraiche
1. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook about 7 minutes, or until crisp. Stir in onion, celery, and bell pepper, stirring to coat with butter and bacon fat. Cook 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Add the corn, garlic, and scallions and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Gently fold in the cooked lima beans, and stir to combine.
4. Stir in the heavy cream, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, or until succotash is heated through and the cream has started to thicken.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Sprinkle with additional tarragon before serving.
Adapted from Dinner Deja Vu: Southern Tonight, French Tomorrow by Jennifer Hill Booker, photography by Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn (Pelican Publishing, 2017).
Chef Jennifer Hill Booker is a Le Cordon Bleu-certified chef, cookbook author, reality TV personality, culinary educator, business owner and GA Grown Executive Chef for the GA Department of Tourism and Travel. She weaves her love of traditional Southern cuisine with her belief in incorporating healthy, seasonal foods and her classic French training.