Vegetarian Louisiana-Style Red Beans and Rice
- Rinse and sort beans. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
- Put the beans in a pot and cover them with vegetable broth. Set heat to high.
- In another pot or skillet, sauté the garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper in olive oil until tender.
- Add the sautéed vegetable mixture and remaining ingredients, except salt and rice, to the beans.
- When the beans reach a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 2 ½ hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Add water to beans as needed.
- When the beans are completely tender, add salt to taste. Remove bay leaves.
- For a creamier texture, process half the beans in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add processed mixture back to pot.
- Salt to taste and serve over cooked rice.