Contributed by Bhavani Jaroff
Pinto Beans with Swiss Chard and Vegan Chorizo
- Rinse and drain the pinto beans. Put them in a large heavy pot with 10 cups of water, the bay leaves and the cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature, and simmer the beans for 1-1/2 hours, until soft. Drain the beans and reserve the water they were cooked in.
- In the same pot, sauté the onion in oil for 5 minutes and then add the vegan chorizo and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the Swiss Chard and cook for another few minutes until wilted.
- Add the beans back in, along with the salt, pepper, cumin, and paprikas. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, and adding the reserved water to get the consistency you want.
- Adjust the spices according to taste.
Bhavani Jaroff is a blogger and a member of the Slow Food community. This recipe was submitted as part of the 2018 Terra Madre Day as a Food for Change meal.